Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Why Resveratrol?

I have been taking resveratrol (let’s sound this out ‘res – vera – trol’) on and off for some time now and I definitely notice a difference when I take it.  But most people that I have talked to have no idea what it is or what it does.  Let’s discuss what it is, what it does, and potential drawbacks to taking it.

What is Resveratrol?
Resveratrol is a naturally occurring chemical found in the skin, stems and seeds of grapes and other fruit.  It is produced by several plants when they are under attack by things such as bacteria or fungi.  It is commonly derived from Japanese knotweed when sold as a supplement.  Resveratrol can be found in various chemical forms, but the trans-resveratrol has the greatest effect on humans and animals.  It is a powerful antioxidant and shown to increase cellular energy.

What does Resveratrol do?
Resveratrol has been shown to have some pretty amazing effects on some species, greatly extending the life of some simple species (such as worms and fruit flies), though this is not seen in humans in preliminary studies.  It also decreases the risk of cancer, improves cardiovascular health, has anti-inflammatory effects, blood-sugar lowering effects, anti-viral effects (including inhibiting the formation of the flu, herpes simplex and has been shown to improves the effects of drugs on HIV-1) and it has been shown to reduce brain plaque in mice (which can lead to Alzheimer's disease).  It also has been shown to increase testosterone in mice, which has led to it being marketed it as a bodybuilding supplement.  When tested on humans, the effects are less pronounced and because research on resveratrol is in its infancy, more time is needed to evaluate the benefits.

From personal experience, I can tell you that it gives a unique energy boost.  I simply don’t get tired as quickly when I work out at the gym.  It allows my muscles to work at a higher intensity level with reduced aching during and after the workout.  I take resveratrol every morning with my coffee and between the caffeine and resveratrol, it really gets me going – much more so than coffee alone.  Coffee seems to awaken my mind, while resveratrol seems to awaken my body.  Additionally, I lost about 10 pounds in the first couple of months of taking resveratrol, while maintaining the same diet as before and increasing my strength and muscularity over that period.  Whether it is working as an anti-aging supplement or having any other effects described above, I’m really not sure.  But it definitely has some positive and noticeable effects on my body.

Potential Drawbacks
This is a very new supplement and, like I said, the research on it is still in its infancy, but there have been very few potential drawbacks or side effects found from taking resveratrol.  It has been theorized that due to its chemical structure, it may stimulate the growth of breast cancer, but in several studies it has been shown to do the opposite, inhibiting the growth of breast cancer.  There are also unknown effects on human fetuses and for this reason I do not recommend any woman who is pregnant or may become pregnant use resveratrol.

Conclusion
If you aren’t pregnant or planning to become pregnant, I highly recommend the use of resveratrol, especially in the trans-resveratrol form.  Your energy levels will increase, body fat will decrease, antioxidant levels will increase and there are various other benefits that you may get from taking the supplement – including but not limited to anti-aging effects, decreasing the risk of cancer, improved cardiovascular health, anti-inflammatory effects, blood-sugar lowering, anti-viral effects and reduced brain plaque formation.  Additionally, there are no know long-term side effects to taking the resveratrol, so why not give it at try?

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent post. Its having good description regarding this topic.It is informative and helpful.I have known many information from this. Thanks for shearing.how does raspberry ketone diet work |does raspberry ketone actually work |raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the notes and I will check your blog out as well - thanks!

    ReplyDelete